The CMHA is a coalition of organisations that have come together to create an environment in the City where mental health is discussed in the same way as physical health.
We were founded by City businesses and are closely supported by two leading UK mental health organisations, Mental Health First Aid England and Mind. Championed by senior business leaders, the Alliance is business-led, expert-guided and aims to create a culture of good mental health for City workers, to share best practice and increase mental health understanding.
Our focus is on supporting all of us, as City workers, to achieve our full potential, for ourselves, our families, our communities and the businesses for whom we work, throughout our working lives. We are a grassroots, bottom-up organisation, designed to listen to and serve the interests of its members. A key part of our success is to tap into the enormous experience and goodwill of each of our members to create change, and enable that to be shared with other members and more broadly.
Our vision is
- People at all levels in the City are able to, and are, talking about mental health without fear of stigma.
- Mental health is recognised as a boardroom issue and is considered essential to maximise business performance, critical to managing business risk and vital to safeguarding organisations’ people responsibilities.
- Prevention is recognised as equally as important as treatment to address mental health problems.
We aim to
- Increase mental health literacy — develop the knowledge and understanding in the City of the full spectrum of mental health issues. Provide appropriate language and confidence to talk articulately and with impact. Engage proactively with the media to encourage a better understanding and positive reporting of mental health issues in the City.
- Provide appropriate language and confidence to talk articulately and with impact.
- Engage proactively with the media to encourage a better understanding and positive reporting of mental health issues in the city
- Create a culture of openness — support people, especially senior business leaders with experience of mental health problems, to tell their stories and inspire others to speak out about their experiences.
- Enable practical steps to be taken by employers — provide City employers with practical tools and the opportunity to share and hear other companies’ experience.